Judson House, 967 Academy Hill, is the home of the Stratford Historical Society.

Built circa 1750 by Capt. David Judson on the site of his great-grandfather’s 1639 stone house, Judson House displays Georgian achitecture with its broken scroll pediment entry.

It is furnished with period pieces of Stratford origin. The paneled “west roome” contains an early piano which belonged to William Samuel Johnson, a Stratford resident, framer of the U.S. Constitution and the second president of Columbia University.

A collection of Chinese porcelain is displayed in the dining room as well as a circa 1750 Crown Great Chair (Heart and Crown), a form unique to this area. A huge fireplace, complete with period accessories, dominates the kitchen.

A rare 18th century clothes press, original to the house, is located in the “west chamber” along with a canopy bed on which is a candlewick spread dated “1808 MB.” The fireplace wall of the room exhibits its original paneling.

Slave quarters and displays of fishing, oystering, and farming tools are located in the basement.

Adjacent to the Judson House is the Catharine Bunnell Mitchell Museum, with permanent exhibits of Stratford history and changing gallery exhibits featuring items from the collections of the Stratford Historical Society.

The grounds are also home to the Beach Family Carriage House, built circa 1880-1885 by the Beach family of 1812 Elm St. In late Feb., 2004, the Stratford Historical Society was given the opportunity to acquire and move the Carriage House, which was in the way of development of the Elm Street property. The society saved the building and celebrated its re-birth in August 2005.

Judson House and the Catharine B. Mitchell Museum are open from the first Sunday in June through October, Wednesday and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m., last entry at 3 p.m. School tours may be scheduled for May, June, September and October.

A genealogy library is located in the office area of the museum and is available to the public Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. year round. Genealogical requests may be made by telephone, e-mail, U.S. mail and in person.

The Stratford Historical Society is open year round Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Information can be obtained by mail at Stratford Historical Society, Box 382, Stratford, CT 06615-0382.

Membership information can be found at www.stratfordhistoricalsociety.com/membership.htm.